Institute of International Business
Rules & Regulations for PhD
From June 14th, 2017
1. The rules and regulations applies to all doctoral students.
2. Regulations for Courses
1) The doctoral student requires to fulfill a minimum 48 credits consisting of 36 credits for course work and 12 credits for dissertation.
2) Required Core Courses “International Business Theories” and “International Business Research Methods”, 2 courses for 6 credits.
3) The Prerequisite Courses: “Economics”, “Accounting” and “Statistics”. Pre-requisite course credits are not counted as part of the required 36 credits necessary to graduate.
4) A maximum number of 5 courses can be taken in each semester. The doctoral students are required to take at least 12 credits in the Institute of International Business. The application for courses in other institutes should be submitted to the office in advance in order to be accredited as credits for graduation.
3. Regulations for Advisor
1) The doctoral students are required to choose the advisor who is a full-time faculty at Institute of International Business.
2) We encourage students to confirm the advisor after enrollment, otherwise the current director of International Business Institute will be the temporary advisor.
3) The changing of advisor shall be subject to the following provisions:
A. The changing of the advisor must be accepted by the current and new professors. By the time the student need to submit the changing advisor document.
B. If the advisor cannot continue to guide, the student need to submit the changing advisor document.
C. All documents (including courses and qualifications) signed by the previous advisor must be signed and approved again by the new advisor.
4. The Qualification Examination
1) The doctoral students are required to pass the qualification examination before attending the thesis proposal.
2) Qualifications for taking the thesis proposal (At least one of the following requirements must be met):
A. The committee will select 2-4 teachers to make out questions for the written test. The doctoral student will get the approval of qualification after passing the written test. The Qualification Examination is held at the end of the first semester each year. Exam time is from 9AM to 6PM.
B. The doctoral student has one paper published in SSCI or 2 papers in SCI journals.
C. The doctoral student has papers published in 2 different conferences.
3) If there is only one student in the authors list, he or she will receive one point per paper. If there are two students in the authors’ list, each will receive half (1/2) point. Likewise, a count of 1/3 point is given for three students in the authors’ list, etc.
4) The qualification test will be subject to the examination and approval of the Doctoral Committee. The doctoral student requires to submit a qualification test application according to the stipulated time. For the conference paper, the student requires to sign the Paper Qualification Test justified Declaration. Attending the conference is not considered personal presentation. Therefore, the student cannot apply for the qualification test.
5) The papers applied for qualification examination cannot be used as the dissertation or graduation required papers.
6) The doctoral student should take the Qualification Examination before the 6th year of the PhD degree. For who does not finish the Qualification Examination will be dismissal.
5. Paper Publication
1) Requirements for Graduation Dissertation
A. One paper published in SSCI Journal or 2 papers in SCI Journal, the advisor from International Business Institute must be in the author list.
B. The student or the instructor of the institute shall be listed as the first author.
C. The student’s service institutes can be listed in the authors’ service institutes section, but the name of school needs to be listed ahead of the service institutes.
D. If there is only one student in the authors list, he or she will receive one point per paper.If there are two students in the authors’ list, then each will only receive 1/2 point. Likewise, a count of 1/3 point is given for three students in the authors’ list, etc.
2) If there is any suspect of the thesis publication, the issue will be reviewed and approved by the PhD Committee. After student’s paper is accepted and passed the qualification examination, the student can apply for the PhD graduation requirement check.
6. Thesis Proposal
Thesis proposal application can be submitted after the completion of all the courses and after passing the qualification test with the attachments below:
1) The transcript of the completed required courses
2) The confirmation of passing qualification test
3) List of Proposal Committee
4) Complete copy of thesis proposal
7. The Institute will establish Doctoral Class Committee for handling PhD students’ related affairs. The director will serve as the convener of the Committee, and all the full-time teachers will be the members.
8. Thesis Oral Defense
The Thesis Oral Defense application should be submitted 3 months after the Proposal with the requirements below:
1) Examination Application
2) List of Committee
3) Proceedings of PhD Thesis
4) The verification of graduation thesis acceptance
9. Study Termination
According to “The Regulation of Graduate Student of Cheng Kung University” Chapter V Article 13 for processing.
10. English Proficiency requirement for Graduation
Students need to achieve at least 1 of the following:
1) TOFEL IBT 69 or above (CBT score of 193)
2) TOEIC 700 or above
3) Pass the high-intermediate level first round test of GEPT
4) IELTS English Language Testing 5 or above
5) The English test that has been taken within 5 years before enrollment may be accepted.
11. All the regulations are designed to be in line with the Student Handbook. If any violation occurs, the regulations from the Student Handbook will be the primary guideline to be followed.